President and Chief Executive Officer
Scott Vaughan was appointed IISD President and CEO in 2013. Prior to joining IISD, he was Canada's Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development. He has also served as Director of the Department of Sustainable Development, Organization of American States (OAS); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Head of Economics, NAFTA Environment Commission; and Counsellor, World Trade Organization (WTO).
Scott's considerable experience on trade and environment includes initiating the Finance Initiative at the United Nations Environment Programme. He holds post-graduate degrees from the London School of Economics, University of Edinburgh and Dalhousie University, and an undergraduate degree from Mount Allison University.
Affiliations include member of the Environmental Leadership Council of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce; China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED); China Eco-Forum Global International Advisory Council; World Economic Forum Stewardship Board for International Trade and Investment; Smart Prosperity Leaders Initiative; and Associate Editor, Chinese Journal of Urban and Environment Studies.
- Cost of Pollution: Extreme WeatherDid you know that the cost of climate change-related heat waves in Canada is estimated to have been $1.6 billion in 2015?
- Cost of Pollution: Contaminated SitesDid you know that average annual cost of managing contaminated sites under federal jurisdiction in Canada was $283 million between 2005/06 and 2014/15?
- Cost of Pollution: Persistent Organic Pollutants Did you know that the cost of persistent organic pollutants to Canada is estimated to be in the billions, but we still don't know for sure?
- Cost of Pollution: Smog Did you know that smog cost Canada $36 billion in 2015?
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada: IISD's report launch On December 1, 2016, IISD publicly released a report on measuring Comprehensive Wealth, an innovative approach, never before undertaken in Canada, to measuring wealth that looks beyond merely GDP.
- CEM and ECPA Side Event: Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Investments in Clean and Affordable EnergyRecent developments in fossil fuel subsidy reform and discussion of how to sustain the progress...